Friday 6 July 2012

Hasta la vista, baby...

Or should it be: “lo siento, no hablo español”. Yes, after a week and a half of living among Los Angelinos, I’ve had to perfect “Sorry I don’t speak Spanish” as I’m regularly mistaken for a ‘latina’ lady. Which is absolutely fine of course, but not so great when I’m asked for directions.

When I do eventually speak to people (like at today’s driving lesson), my English accent is a hit. I drove through Beverly Hills today. Didn’t spot any celebrities (I was too busy keeping my eyes on the road of course....ahem) but there isn’t a shortage of entertainment programmes to keep up to date. Whether it’s Access Hollywood, Entertainment tonight, Extra, E! News, The Insider...the list goes on. I now know what Katie Holmes was wearing on the day after she announced her divorce from Tom Cruise. Even her hairstyle. It’s pretty crazy.

Funny thing is, I don’t get the feeling from most day-to-day Angelinos of really caring about Hollywood stars or celebrities. It just seems confined to ‘news’ casters and weather girls. Speaking of the news programmes over here....they’re not great. It seems that anything goes and everyone is keen to share their (sometimes libellous) opinions.

And they pepper their scripts with inflammatory words. Boy do I miss the BBC. A LOT. The male newsreaders on US TV are all older, leery men, paired with female news anchors that can barely read. But they look amazing, which is what matters in LA! Where is Moira Stewart when you need her....

I also miss BBC radio 2...4...5...all of ‘em. American radio stations are so segregated in terms of genre. There’s an easy listening station here similar to Magic, that plays at least 2 Sade songs every hour. Ok, I liked Sade, back in 1990. But enough is enough! And they’ve played Adele songs to death.
Thank God for Spotify. J On that note, David Bowie awaits.  

3 comments:

  1. you should be able to get all BBC stuff using a fake proxy... tell richard! VJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah we got this "expat shield" thing but that was slowing down the laptop so we got rid of it! BBC does have some programmes on the Public Broadcasting Service, but the programmes are all about the Queen. :S

    ReplyDelete