Saturday 15 September 2012

Cakes, cakes, cakes

I've not updated the blog for a couple of weeks, so here's a quick report. Richard's in London this week and I've been holding the fort. It's all going fine, aside from the odd Coyote warning and earthquake. We've seen a few posters warning of Coyotes in the area. They're like a bigger version of a fox, and closer in relation to a wolf, which is a bit exciting and worrying at the same time!

I started my pilates class last week at Santa Monica College. It's a really enjoyable class and a good workout. Very different to yoga, but deceptively exhausting.

I also travelled up to Sherman Oaks this week for a meeting with the charity I'm volunteering for. If I thought it was hot down in Santa Monica, it doesn't compare with the oven that awaits you when you travel further inland and into 'the valley'. Too hot for me!

One thing that I've been impressed with is the huge array of freshly baked cakes at the local 'Ralphs' supermarket. Cakes, cupcakes, pastries...leaves our UK supermarket bakeries in the shade. I've 'sampled' the carrot cake and chocolate cake, both of which were delicious and not as sweet as I expected. The carrot cake is especially yummy, and close to the one I make (which features half the sugar the recipe calls for.) I guess I should take on the important task of trying them all, and report back to you!

Signing off now, and about to watch the first Strictly Come Dancing on IPlayer. Compared to American entertainment shows, including the new X Factor over here which is terrible, it's Newsnight and Question Time rolled into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment